SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_180326071

Need Help with Backyard Orchard / Garden Plan

HU-180326071
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi,

I an building a new home on roughly 1/3 acre. Not very big i know but i have big plans.

I am attaching my plan below, but what i have is a fruit tree perimeter around my fence, and one area for a garden. My spacing for the fruit trees is just slightly less than each fruit tree requires according to the hanging card the tree came with. I intend to prune them to keep them slightly smaller.

My concern is if i'm doing something wrong with the fruit tree placement, and/or the garden placement.

I am concerned about the grading of the house and if that is going to cause concern for the garden beds. I can flatten the grading but that's not good for the house. the beds should be perpendicular to changes in elevation should it should affect each bed uniformly.

I am also concerned how i should do the irrigation. The home will come with lawn sprinklers, which i intend to re purpose. Does each fruit tree need a dedicated water drip line? Do i need drip irrigation for each bed or would a lawn sprinkler suffice?

I already have all these fruit trees in large 20 gallon pots.

I should also add the home faces the North and i live in houston, tx. I can expect the sun behind my house except in the summer when its directly overhead.

Thank you

Comments (20)