SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eboone_gw

Advice for peach orchard planning using perpendicular V system

eboone_gw
10 years ago

Well, I think I am going to experiment with one of the higher density V systems for peach orchards. I have some 20+ year old peach trees in the open vase system and need to plan for their eventual demise/replacement and for more varieties. This spring I planted 3 new trees (one nect, 2 peach) in a row, each 24 ft apart, planning at the time for the open vase training. Each now has a few well-oriented suitable branches from 24-36 inches above ground to select scaffolds from. Now after reading several articles about the Perpendicular V and the Quad V training systems I want to change my plans so I can squeeze in more varieties, spread out my harvest time, extend my season and probably better manage my little orchard with more uniform pruning. I want to hold the height to 8-9 ft high to minimize the need for a ladder. My goals are to freeze and can several bushels of peaches to enjoy the rest of the year, share a lot with friends and family, and enjoy stuffing myself with fresh homegrown peaches for as long a period as possible :)

I see four choices in my plans:
1.) to use the Perpendicular V with 2 scaffolds per tree and next year add 2 new trees between each of the existing just-planted ones at 8 ft spacing, or
2.) add 3 new trees between each at 6 foot spacing.
The Perpendicular V system in a commercial orchard calls for 6 ft spacing, but I wonder if I will not prune aggressively enough and crowd them.
The other 2 choices are to use the Quad V system with 4 scaffolds per tree (the official recommendation is 9 ft spacing in the row) and
3.) add one tree between each existing tree at 12 ft spacing, or
4.) add two trees between each at 8 ft spacing-pushing the crowding aspect a little, which I assume is not impossible to manage in my home orchard setting.

I will also plan to extend this row next year(or the next) another 48 foot distance to the end of my property, giving me lots of room to add even more trees and varieties. I would like to avoid a trellis system if possible, but would go to that extra work and expense if absolutely needed.

Any advice from those experienced with these systems? Or more experienced with peaches? I have only experience with the open vase system for peaches, but I think I understand peach pruning for fruiting wood replacement and thinning of fruits pretty well.

Ed Boone

Comments (3)