SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
virginiald

Quick cover crop for new bed?

virginiald
15 years ago

I am creating a new perennial, shrub and tree bed (around 600 sq ft) from some very alkaline (7.7 pH) clay soil that we moved from in front of the house. It is not compacted subsoil, but very poor topsoil, with not a single earth worm in sight. The analysis listed Ca and Mg as very high, P and K as high, and minerals as 'sufficient', and much need of fertilizer. After sieving to remove stones, my husband and I tilled in a pickup truckload of leaf mold and another of aged horse manure with shavings, and 10 lb of pelleted sulphur. A friend (a very GOOD friend) has bought me three tree peonies which will be delivered in mid October. Do I have time/is it advisable to plant a cover crop now to boost nitrogen levels? The tree peonies will not take up more than 1/3 of the bed so not all of the cover crop would need to be mowed or tilled under in time for the peonies. What crop would you recommend that won't keep coming back like the Sorcerer's Apprentice's broom? I bought some red clover, but now I'm not so sure this would be the best choice. I've searched through other postings about cover crops but these mostly deal with cover crops on vegetable gardens.

Virginia in Virginia

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting