SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cannes

Killing my lawn... am I doing it right?

cannes
16 years ago

We've lived in a town home for the last 5 years and just moved into a single family house built in 1922. The PO was a widow who couldn't take care of anything, so the yard/garden/house are now in horrible condition.

The front yard has been taken over by ground ivy, dandelions, and many other weeds. The back yard is bad, but salvageable. I have spent hours reading this forum, back to 2006, I think. So I am pretty confident that if I fertilize with halts, then a week or two later, spray with a weed killer (weed b gone), mow at a high setting all summer, aerate late summer and seed, I should be in pretty good shape, right?

I am planning to create a beautiful front yard/garden with a tad of formality with boxwoods, rose bushes, gorgeous lawn, etc...

My problem is with whats there currently. I'm thinking about killing the weeds and the little existing lawn with round up. But then what? Do I dig up the lawn or till it? I have a few overgrown bushes that need to go too. I am doing this basically alone due to my husband working away from home most of the time.

I am so new to this that I don't even know what tools I need to purchase. I've just purchased my first lawn mower, ever. I am so grateful for any advice you can give. I hope I am not starting this too late.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH