SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alphz6

Major setback, please advise

Alph
14 years ago

First a little background on the situation.

This house came into my possession a few months ago and I was thrilled about having a lawn. I couldnÂt wait for it to green up so I started my weekly deep watering late March(Doh!) into mid-April. Also applied some Weed and Feed(Doh! #2). But apparently all this resulted in not the grass greening up, but the weeds.

I stopped watering and waited for the lawn to tell me when to water. But the problem was that the grass was not thick in its density nor its blades(width of the blades was medium) and I was mowing it at 2.5inches. This was really weird and I figured it was some type of grass that had this certain quality. But then I noticed that grass around the fence were really thick and carpet like. They also had the blade width I have seen in online pictures. Again, I postulated that this was probably a different type of grass or due to the dog over-fertilizing. The lawn itself was growing, but it wasnÂt dense and the blades for most of the lawn looked immature.

Upon reading more about lawn care, I figured the lawn needed some aerating. I decided to conduct the screwdriver test today morning when the soil was moist from ~0.5inch rain overnight. To my surprise, the screwdriver encountered resistance about 3inches down. I tested numerous areas with little change in results. The area near the fence and near my house had more depth to it. This explained why there were majority of medium sized blades and why the ones near the edges seem dense. I believe the resistance is rocks used to elevate the ground/house.

So guys, what are my options here? I canÂt raise height as there are no places for roots to go down. I canÂt deep water as most of the water will be lost and not kept in the soil plus roots will encounter resistance. And it seems I would have to liquid fertilize using miracle-gro monthly/bi-monthly to make it readily available.

This is a huge letdown. I donÂt even know what surprises the summer heat will bring or how to water it.

Please advise on how I should take care of the lawn hereafter =(

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio