SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marknmt

Reconsidering footies, Surround

marknmt
14 years ago

OK- as I made clear earlier this week on this subject I don't have much use for 'em.

But maybe I'm too hasty, and I certainly haven't been systematic or scientific.

Today I was going through my tree looking for varieties that are ripe (nothing yet, but Gala's getting close and I think Carousel/Cameo might be getting there) and I took a closer look. Quite a number of bagged/sprayed apples are untouched by CM, quite a blessing. CM season is pretty much over now, not that 4 generations isn't enough, so we may be OK this year.

Still, I think next year I'll just go with spraying Spinosad, and I'll hit it a little earlier; I may have been a couple of days late with my first or second sprays. (I'll also bag about 100 apples in cotton parts bags as an experment and just to keep the neighbors guessing, and I'll increase the use of pheromone disruption as Scott suggest.)

If you do choose to experiment with the footies, and I'm not saying you should, I think the best way to hold them on the tree is to slip the footy over the apple and then secure it around the stem with a rubber band. I used the skinny, cheap rubber bands that come on our newspaper. It's reasonably easy to wrap them over your fingers and then slip that over the bagged apple. They degrade slowly in the summer sun and are easy to break, which facilitates removal of the bag. It'll slide off with a soft tug. I also experimented with the little white plastic clips that come on bread bags, and I broke off several fruit spurs trying to get them to let go.

I know others here have experimented with footies and been disappointed. So it may just be one of those things that 'depends", and I may find a good number of unbagged apples that are clear too. Be interesting to see, and I'll post what I learn in the weeks to come.

All just thoughts and all just FWIW.

Good luck,

M

Comments (11)