SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mytch_gw

My lawn is awful! Weeds...bare spots...

mytch
14 years ago

Well, I've about had it with my lawn, to the point that I'm about ready to nuke the whole thing with Roundup and start over. Thought I'd see if anyone here had any advice before I do something that extreme, though. I'll just go through the nice little "posting checklist" item by item:

Background Information:

1. Where you live?

East Texas, near Tyler

2. What type of grass you have?

What little there is, is bermuda.

3. What products you have applied to your lawn, and how much? These include fertilizer, herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, etc.

Haven't applied anything this season. In the fall, my dad applied some sort of pre-emergent, I'm not sure what it was, though. In past seasons, I have applied nitrogen, dimethylamine, MSMA, Spectracide "Weed Stop," and "Mole Repellent" (active ingredient: Canola Oil)

4. How often and how long you irrigate?

Once it starts growing, at least two or three times a week, five or six if I can (my work schedule often prevents me from being home to turn on water/move sprinklers, etc.)

5. Is the lawn established, or have you recently seeded/re-seeded or added sod? If so, when?

I guess you'd say it's "established..." (started it five or six years ago) but really, it never really looked like I wanted it to.

6. At what height you mow and how often?

Once it starts growing, I guess 2-3" every three or four days.

7. Results of soil test if applicable.

Had one, can't remember the exact results and can't find it now. I do remember, however, that there were no particular deficiencies or other abnormalities...nothing to explain why the grass isn't growing.

Specifically describe the problem being as descriptive as possible.

It's basically that there is almost nothing but weeds and bare spots. There are a few places where the bermuda looks relatively decent, but it's just not "taking over the lawn" and "crowding out the weeds" like everyone that looks at it says it should. I did take a couple of pictures, but it looks like there isn't a way to post them here. I'm happy to e-mail them if anyone is interested.

8. Entire lawn is affected or a specific area(s)?

Pretty much the entire lawn. Like I say, there are a few good places, but they're few and far between.

10. If your problem is with weeds, what type of weeds?

Not sure of the names. Some are broadleaf, some are wiry, some are some type of clover. I do have a LOT of what I believe are generally called "sand burrs" (my family just refers to them as "stickers"), but those haven't started growing yet. Like I say, I took pictures...

11. How long you have noticed this problem and it is recurring?

Ever since the lawn started growing.

Solution:

12. Do you have a preference towards a synthetic or organic solution?

Nope.

13. Past efforts to remedy the problem.

(see above mention of previously applied treatments)

14. Are any solutions not feasible? (hand pulling weeds for 2+ acres, daily watering, etc.)

I don't have just a heck of a lot of time on my hands, and there will be a period of about two-three weeks mid-June/early July that I won't be home.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)