SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fish43512

slow/low growth cool season grass

fish43512
16 years ago

I am hoping someone can help me decide on a cultivar/type of grass that has slow growth and can be cut at a low height. My DW does not like tall grass and is constantly riding my butt about how tall my blugrass/fescue lawn is. I mow it to about 2.5 to 3 inches right now. I keep trying to explain to my wife that this is the proper mowing height for our grass and it should not be cut shorter but she doesn't care. She just wants it shorter. To complicate matters, my son got a tick in him the other day that had to be removed, and now she believes that we have ticks because our grass is too tall. The fact that we have deer and multiple other woodland creatures (rabbits, squirrels, birds, racoons, mice, etc.) roaming through our yard isn't a factor in her opinion.

Anyways, to keep momma happy (and therefore everyone else in the house), I am in search of a low maintenance (wife wants to save money) grass that can be cut low with minimal cutting and watering. I can probably get away with the fertilizer costs (she hasn't voiced any negative opinions about that yet). I am in Defiance, OH which is almost as far NW Ohio as you can get.

I have considered buffalo grass but I am not sure about rainfall. Things get kind of wet in the old Black Swamp of Ohio. My yard is partially tiled so drainage is not much of an issue with the exception of the back edge of my yard where it meets my neighbors. My yard sits higher than theirs and it levels off at that point. The soil is pretty much clay except where I have had some somewhat sandy topsoil put in around my home's foundation.

If I can't find a suitable low maintenance grass, I am probably going to have to switch to a reel mower so I can mow my grass at 9PM in the evening when I get off of work. That way I can maintain the low cutting height of my current grass.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fish

Comments (14)