SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhaine86

Lawn care questions

rhaine86
16 years ago

Okay- my family moved into a new home last April, when the grass was green and growing nicely.

Fast track to this Spring (if you can even call it that), where we've had record snow fall, we're STILL seeing snow flurries and light dustings and freezing overnight temperatures, and somehow-- the majority of my neighbors have managed to mow/aerate/powerrake/fertilize and are dealing with mostly green lawns. I on the other hand, still have a mostly brown landscape.

I did have someone aerate our lawn a couple weeks ago, when I *thought* that Winter was over. The plugs are still on the ground, and I have evaluated them (if it is accurate) to check for thatch buildup. From what I've seen from the plugs which are about 2 1/2" long- there is more roots/grass than loose dirt. Is that even an appropriate way to assess the condition?

I've been holding off on fertilizing yet- because there's no rain in the near forecast, and turning on my sprinklers seems just a bit early given the cold overnight temps. I have been outside w/ a thatch rake, attempting to clear out as much dead grass from last season in the areas that are the brownest. I'm toying with the idea of having someone come out and vertical mow now, to relieve my tired self from manually attempting this job anymore. There is obviously grass to come up, but my yard is simply bigger than my pregnant self (or my husband) wants to keep raking.

Would it be a good idea to proceed to a vertical mower? I read varying reports on the correct time of year to do this.

Or- perhaps power raking is the better idea, to get up all of last years dead grass? I'm so confused between the two choices.

Should I just proceed with "watch and wait" and hope that the upcoming warmer (normal temps!) weather will allow my lawn to green up and the aeration has done an adequate job?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Comments (7)