SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
applenut_gw

Apple Expert Advice Needed

applenut_gw
14 years ago

I know this is a weird subject for many of you, but before I incur large expenses, I wanted to subject it to at least some form of peer review, and there are not a whole lot of people I can ask for advice.

Im involved in a project to start apple orchards in the tropics of Africa, and as you can imagine the methods are quite different than what you are accustomed to in cold climates. Apples represent a high-value crop that will fetch much better prices than the traditional crops such as yams or cassava, and the labor is much less as you donÂt have to cultivate the whole field by hand each year. This is important in war-torn areas where most of the men are dead and thereÂs an abundance of orphans and widows.

Tropic climates have a dwarfing effect on apple trees and even seedling rootstock trees are planted at 2 meters x 3 meters (believe it or not, there are a lot of apple orchards in the tropics). The two main varieties IÂll be shipping are Anna and Dorsett Golden, and both reliably bear the second year, even on seedling rootstocks (often two crops a year). The fruit quality is excellent but they will only keep a couple weeks off the tree with no refrigeration, limiting exports.

The soil is often worn out, with sandy or heavy clay. It becomes saturated at some times of the year. For this reason I plan on utilizing seedling rootstock; its vigor will also be valuable in surviving insect and livestock damage. I will be experimenting with having the farmers starting rootstocks from seed and also shipping them ¼" caliper seedling rootstock. Even in remote places there is often a refrigerator in town, and so seed striation can be done in a soup can full of sand for 45 to 60 days, 250 seeds easily fitting in one can. I will ship seed as soon as it is available in the fall, and the farmers will sprout the seeds and start them in a nursery spaced 6" apart. Meanwhile in the spring I will ship seedling rootstocks that they will plant in a nursery spaced at 12". In August I will ship budwood for bud grafting, and in the winter scionwood for chip budding.

The high-density nursery is important as during the dry season the seedlings must be hand-watered. It also allows for better monitoring for pests and disease, and can be more easily fenced in. After two years the feathered trees will be set out in the orchard, which is a patch hacked out of the jungle and hoed by hand. It may or may not be fenced; thieves are the biggest threat, as livestock and wild animals are not common (theyÂve mostly been eaten).

There are no seasons at the equator as we know them, only rainy season and dry season. Day length and temperature can be pretty constant through the year, and so the season is endless and blossoming is triggered by manual leaf-stripping. Shipping is timed with the end of the dry season when the roads are the most passable, as once the rains start the roads are a muddy mess. Travel time for air cargo shipments from the USA is about 8 days; you can expect it to be held up in customs for another couple days and then a dayÂs transport in a hot and humid box.

The plan is for them to become self-sufficient, starting their own rootstocks from the seeds of harvested apples, and using those trees for scion and budwood. Propagating trees to sell to other farmers can be a secondary source of income. As orchards become established I will ship other experimental varieties, such as Williams Pride and Liberty. In the humid climate these disease-resistant varieties would be valuable, as would a highly-colored apple that has a longer shelf life.

If anyone has any comments or input IÂd be very appreciative; this is kind of a lonely field.

Comments (15)