SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Old mirror dilemma - Expert advice needed, please

nhb22
13 years ago

My children gave me an old mirror for Mother's Day. It was one I had seen in an antiques store several weeks ago. The mirror was seen hanging in a booth, and I never took it down to inspect.

Come to find out, the mirror is extremely heavy! The backboard appears to be some sort of heavy fiber board. It looks as though the backing has been on the mirror for a quite a long time because the hanging hardware looks old. In addition, the wiring consist of three frail looking pieces and a wide satin cord (not a wire cord.) I thought the satin type cord may date the piece, as I have not seen that in quite a while.

OK, I obviously cannot use the antiquated wiring to hang the mirror. Should I just have a frame shop add new wiring to be sufficient for the weight of the mirror? Or, should I try to take the backing off in hopes of lessening the weight? I could then add the new hardware and wiring myself? I am also worried about how to hang it on the wall. I think my best bet is to find a stud and use a long nail versus some of those newer hangers.

Here are some pics.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Wire, cording and backboard (what is it?)

{{!gwi}}

Cording

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)