SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jandrfas

Kerdi shower tray - need advice from the experts!

jandrfas
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am about to rip out my ugly 30+ year-old pre-fab fiberglass shower (33" x 60") this weekend. I decided to go with Kerdi since I'm not at all experienced with mud work and was too stubborn to hire someone to do it for me (a true weekend warrior). I purchased a Kerdi kit from Tile Experts and it should be arriving any day now.

Anyway, here's my dilemma. The existing shower insert is 33" wide including the curb (which is approx. 2-1/2" wide). The drain is centered between the back shower wall and the OUTSIDE of the curb. After I remove the insert I will have a 33" space between the back wall and the first row of floor tiles with the drain fairly perfectly centerd between the two.

The Kerdi tray is 32" wide, and the Kerdi curb is 4-1/2" wide. So, in order to accommodate the curb I will have to trim 4-1/2 inches off of one side of the Kerdi tray. Of course the people at Schluter advise not doing that. They say that you should make every effort to trim equal amounts from all four sides, but that isn't possible.

I realize that if I do cut 4-1/2" from one side it will make the perimeter lower on that side. Is it something that I can overcome? I assume it just means I'll have a little wider grout seam on that side. Am I correct? Or can I build the perimeter back up on that side with thinset or deck mud?

I also have the option of making my new shower 4-1/2" wider if absolutely necessary. However, it's not my preferred option. The floor is tiled with 6" squares of Venetian stone, so I would have to remove one row, and then I would have about a 1-1/2" gap to deal with. That creates another small dilemma - it's a bit too much to fill up with grout or caulk but not quite big enough to fill up with cut tiles. I'm also not looking forward to pulling up the Venetian stone. I foresee a lot of chiseling as they're pretty tough tiles (I put them down myself 5 years ago).

Sorry about the long post - I guess I'm experiencing the pre-project jitters. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (3)