SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
copper_john

Princess 77 or Emerald Zoysia - Tennessee

copper_john
13 years ago

I love my fescue but the long, hot dry summers kill it every year. I have decided to switch to a warm season grass but I need one that will withstand temperatures down to say 5 or so. I realize this is asking a lot of a warm season grass. However, it seems Emeral zoysia is highly recommended but only is available as sod or plugs. A sod farm locally grows it so apparently it lives here. It will be more cost effective to buy Princess 77 seed and start from seed but if it can't live (from what I have read here, it likely won't), I don't want it. I also would prefer a taller grass, like fescue (2 inches seem pretty short), but maybe that is not possible with warm season grasses. I can't find any information anywhere about the spread rate of Emerald. If I plant Emeral zoysia sod spaced apart would it spread this year into the fescue and overtake it? I have 20,000 SF to cover so sod would be very costly for all of it ($5,000+). I am speculating that if I place sod pieces at various spots in the existing lawn, then it will grow ans spread into the existing lawn. I could place more sod next year if neeeded, but this is my line of thinking at the present.

Any knowledge of Emerald ? I can't find any reference to it using the search here and I have pretty much read every site on the net that sells it (and Princess 77), but I would like to hear from users. If neither is recommended, then what does look lush, green, full taller than 1" that spreads well and is a warm season grass?

Comments (10)