SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradley0241

New Sod Yard Transition to KBG

bradley0241
16 years ago

I recently purchased my first home from a builder who laid sod on the whole property. Apparently there was a problem with one of the sewer pipes so they had to dig up the front lawn and did a poor job of fixing it. When the ground settled in the spring I was left with a crater about 10 inches deep and 10' in diameter in the middle of the front yard. They are in the process of fixing this but I don't see it ever being level to my liking so.... I anticipate killing all the sod in the fall top-dressing to level it out, then seeding with a KBG blend still TBD. This spring I have installed an irrigation system to make this easier and am picking up my John Deere 2653 triplex reel mower on Saturday. These are usually used for golf courses or athletic fields and the reels follow contours better to avoid scalping at low heights. There are some nice contours in my lawn that would look great done short. I would love to get my lawn to look like a golf course fairway if possible and realize that it takes a good deal of work. After researching some of the new dwarf strains of KBG I think that they may work for the look that I am going for. Has anyone had any experience with KBG mowed close in this area? I'd like to be at .5"-.75" but depending on how it reacts to this I will adjust accordingly. 1.5" would still work for me. I think using a reel mower should give me the ability to get a little closer by lessing the stress of mowing with a rotary mower. I did consider bent but that would be a little more than I'm ready to tackle right now. Any thoughts/ideas.

Comments (2)