SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golfcourselawn

Dormant bermuda seeding....

16 years ago

Please read the following journal article: http://crop.scijournals.org/cgi/content/full/46/4/1787

I did a lot of research prior to planting my bermuda seed (Princess 77) and all that I read, including NTEP studies, suggested that princess is the best looking seeded variety, but it is slow to green in the spring and has low cold tolerance. All this means to me is that is takes a little more TLC than the alternatives, which in central MS are St. Augustine, Centipede, and Zoyzia. I would love to have a perennial rye or TTTF lawn but it just wont work. St. Augustine is way too thick bladed for my taste and Centipede tends to look at little unhealthy and is difficult to fertilize correctly (although I did seed Tifblair centipede in my back yard where only partial sun exists). I spent a lot of time looking at Zoyzia and Bermuda before choosing Princess 77. After talking with some of my neighbors, they told me that Zoyzia can take all summer to repair and fills in very slowly. Since I like to chip golf balls in my yard, this did not seem like a good combo.

Anyway, I just thought I would share this article with those of you who care. Also, I've noticed that some suggest that lawn seed "marketing" is what drives a lot of people to buy and use certain seeds. In my case, it is VERY difficult to find high quality seeds locally. In fact, my choices in bermuda were: common (sahara) and princess.

JMHO (just my humble opinions).

Comments (4)