SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Thanksgiving cactus leans to left (and I'm not talking politics)

Or I guess it could just as easily be said to lean to the right.

Regardless, I was given a cutting from a very large Thanksgiving cactus. The stem is already woody and it stands about 7" tall with several arching branches. It was taken from one side of the original plant so it naturally has branches that mostly arch to one side, with a couple going straighter up. It has no balance whatsoever and I'm worried that both now and as it grows it will stress the trunk to have all the weight on one side.

I'm wondering if I can retrain any of those arches that point more upward to hang to the other side. If I hang light weights on them to lean them to the other side will that work? I know it works with bonsai, but I've not read anything on the internet about this much reshaping of a cactus. Because it's jointed at each leaf I'm concerned that it might eventually snap at one of those joints.

What are my options for getting this plant some balance? I tried to pot it with roots at an angle so the upward portion leaned in a way to even out the weight, but the plant has just settled in the soil back towards it's original placement.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor