SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Going to try something new -- 100% Crabgrass lawn

wxman81
16 years ago

Folks,

Spring is here and I have been thinking of what I could do to my lawn that would make it unique to the area. After considerable thought, I decided I'm going to roundup all the bentgrass and seed with 100% crabgrass. Here are some pros of a 100% crabgrass lawn:

* Everyone seems to be dealing with this type of grass as a nuisance in their lawn. After numerous pre-emergents and chemical treatments, it seems to come back year after year in the United States which makes me think that its a versatile little plant. If we did the same erradication methods on other grasses, I'm sure they'd be almost extinct by now.

* It's nice and low growing to the lawn which should help keep mowings to a minimum.

* It doesn't demand much fertilizer and water. Stays green when most of the other grass in the lawn has gone dormant from heat and lack of water.

* Reseeds itself every year! No more overseeding needed!

* Die-off in fall allows to save a step of fertilizer. No more winterizer needed!

* Chokes out other grasses and weeds well!

I found a type at www.seedland.com. It's red river crabgrass and I'm going to check to see if that is close to the common crabgrass that we all have. If it is, I'm ordering per the seeding rates and rounding up my lawn. I will then slit seed the crabgrass seeds into my lawn. If thats not close to the common crabgrass, I will find somewhere else to obtain the seeds. I'm sure someone sells them.

Hopefully by June my lawn is flourishing with lovely crabgrass!!!

Comments (17)