SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galiana_gw

Lawn drainage on the cheap?

galiana
11 years ago

My husband and I bought a house in November, and have recently realized that our front yard has a severe drainage problem. I would be very grateful for any advice that you can give us on how to fix it. Here are the details:

While our house is on the side of a very steep hill, our front yard is almost continually wet. The soil is heavy clay and turns to mud with rain or snowmelt, and gets hard as concrete and cracks in the very few times it does dry out.

One of the main problems (or symptoms) is that the yard is full of lumps and depressions. Though it's obvious that it once drained towards the street, it's eroded in an odd pattern due to runoff from the city-maintained lane that surrounds the property. Now water is getting caught in the depressions and not evaporating properly.

Is there a way that we can regrade the lawn and improve our drainage situation without spending a lot of money? My husband and I can do the labor as it's a very small yard, but as we're newlyweds with a new home, money is fairly tight. We were thinking of pulling up the sod, spreading some topsoil and compost to make the lawn evenly slope towards the street, and then either putting the sod back on or reseeding. Would that work?

We're in New Hampshire, zone 5a.

The attached picture is the Google Maps version of our house, looking slightly uphill towards the neighbor's house. The lawn slopes two ways actually -- one from north to south towards the street, and one from east to west downhill. Please let me know if I can provide any other information that might help.

This post was edited by galiana on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 23:49

Comments (12)