SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buddylee375

Begginer lawn care advice

buddylee375
12 years ago

Alright, so I live in NE Wisconsin and bought my first house a couple of years ago and could use a little advice on how to make my lawn look like an actual lawn. The former owner was an older woman who I guess had decided to do nothing to it but let the neighbor mow from time to time.

I have decided to finally take some corrective action with the lawn care. The current state of the lawn isn't great, I have multiple bare/spotty patches, moss growing in quite a few different areas, little purple flower weeds popping up in groups, and a little bit of crabgrass as well. Last year I fertilized the lawn once, maybe twice and it seemed to take care of the crazy dandelion problem I had. It's not a huge lawn by any means typical suburban lawn, maybe 250 sq. feet or so.

Another huge problem I have is that the lawn has also become extremely bumpy which makes it extremely hard to mow evenly. I thought about rolling it, but after a little reading, it seems like that would do more damage than good. Apparenlty aerating the lawn and letting it naturally settle/flatten out would be much more beneficial.

It also seems I may have missed the mark on timing as well. I've seen from a few different places that the best time to do anything major to your lawn (in my area at least) would be during the end of fall, late August, early September. It would seem the best thing I could do for my lawn right now at the start of the season would be to spread some compost on it, but I can't say I know of any place to acquire compost.

My thought right now is to fertilize the lawn in the spring after a few weeks, just keep mowing it like usual until the fall. In the fall, then aerate the lawn, seed the lawn, and then once the seed has grown a bit, fertilize again.

I guess I'm just looking for advice if I'm on the right track or completely way off here. Is there something I could/should do in the spring or mid-summer to help with these issues? Should I wait til the fall to aerate and seed or should I start that right away?

Any thoughts would help and be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (6)