SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nc_lawn_nut

Start NC lawn from scratch, in the spring.

nc_lawn_nut
16 years ago

First, the details:

1. We moved into our house in November in Cary (10 yo house).

2. The prior owner neglected the lawn and it's sparse grass with crab grass lying in wait :(

3. Lawn is irrigated assuming Cary allow the system to be used. We are allowed to hand water if they don't allow us to irrigate. Lot is only .25 acres and includes the house foot print. Again, I live in Cary and since we get our water from Jordan Lake, the water restrictions are not super tight like those in Raleigh (for now anyways).

The basic plan is to rotor till the lawn so I can perfect the leveling and get rid of what is left of the crappy grass.

I am getting 10 yards of top dressing which should give me a good inch over the area I need to make a nice lawn.

So, what should I seed the lawn with. I am concerned that if I use rye grass just to get the lawn in now that it will burn up even if irrigated. The lawn project will be the weekend March 22-23rd due to work issues.

I am already planning on a follow-up aeration and over-seed in the fall of a fescue/bluegrass blend. I just want to get a good stand of grass before it gets hot.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)