SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grodri02

New Lawn on a New Construnction home....Long Island, NY

grodri02
11 years ago

Hello,

Need some help with getting a brand new lawn in a new home in Long Island, NY. Basically, my house faces south and looking to seed the whole property. I learned alot here and in the internet and was going to to go with a tall fescue blend from the Hogan Company (the Hogan Blend). Now, the dirt that I have is filled with rocks and just dirt so I was going to put atleast 3" of topsoil and plant those seeds (removing all the rocks, ofcourse). However, I had a landscapper contractor come today and he suggested kentucky blue blend....the thing that threw me off was when I asked him what kind of seeds he used and he told me he works with "scott seeds"....my understanding is that I should try to go for sod type seeds and dont know if those seeds he mentioned are any good. He wants to sod the front of the house and seed the back. He also offer a maintance package aswell.

Now, I have an experienced person that has great experience doing lawns and he agreed that he can put down the tall fecue seed from the Hogan Company. Basically, top soil, starter fertilizer and seed. He will also be putting in a sprinkler system.

The question is now...who do I go with? Tall fescue (with my guy) or Kentucky Blue (contractor)? I yet to know the price with the contractor, but I am most interested on getting the best possible lawn for my area.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments (2)