SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ad1080

Stuck in mid renovating entire lawn

ad1080
15 years ago

Hello all, first post. Read thru some past responses and have a general idea of paths I can go but would like to hear opinions that are more specifically tailored to my issue.

Following the posting checklist :)

I live in Los angeles w/ sandy soil. The lawn looked nice when we moved into the house a year ago but there were plenty of patych spots I assumed from not being watered well. Also, I wasn't too fond of the type of grass (I'm pretty certain a blend w/ bermuda and augustine in it) as it wasn't soft on the feet like what I grew up w/ on the east coast.

I read somewhere (either here or on the roundup bottle) that its a good idea to renovate your lawn every 10-15 years or so and I assumed it wasn't likely ever done here since the house was built in 48.

Here's a pic of how it looked over a yr ago

{{gwi:83164}}

{{gwi:83165}}

About 6 months ago, I redid all the sprinklers in the front and side of the house because it was old galvanized pipe that was rusted and broken. Some of the heads were off and I couldn't think of a simple way to attach new heads to the broken pipes so went ahead and redid it.

{{gwi:83166}}

Unfortunately, most of the grass was dead by the time I completed it and also being close to winter just about all the color was lost. When it started to return, I decided...Lets try to kill it all and redo....I know, I'm somewhat regretting that decision now but hopefully the end results will make it all worthwhile.

{{gwi:83167}}

So I tried a general grass and weed killer, ortho something...which didn't fully do the trick. A week later used round-up and that totally sealed the deal after about a week. Everything was dead down to the roots.

Here's where I should've come and asked for advice. Instead, I rented a sod cutter and we cut and rolled the dead grass (and mostly dirt) and an entire afternoon of backbreaking labor filling a truck and going to the dump ($$$) Sadly, I only got half of the stuff taken away and my poor property looks horrible!

{{gwi:83168}}

My goal was to have it all removed, rake and level it all, and then reseed with perhaps a softer grass (I'm not afraid of work, have a decent landscaping/mowing tools.) However, from what I've read, I know it's not the appropriate time to be doing this- yet I really can't stand to have a dirt lawn all year. Sod might be an option but I'd rather not because of the cost.

So please...won't someone tell me where to go from here? I'd love to hear "you're an idiot for spending all that money and backbreaking work, you could've just tilled all the deadgrass in and started anew!" But somehow doubt that.

Thanks in advance

Comments (10)