SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
occuramc

Care of New Centipede in East Georgia - fertilizer & herbicide

occuramc
12 years ago

I bought a house last July in East Georgia, and back yard was full of weeds. So the first thing I did was a cover the entire yard in glyphosate. It worked well, but a week later did a second full application to really burn it all out and start totally from scratch.

Next step, I installed irrigation throughout the back yard.

I then tilled it all up, leveled out the ground, spread centipede seed (which is unbelievably expensive), raked the seeds into the ground, and rolled the entire yard flat. Lastly I started it on a regular watering cycle.

A perfect start!

The problem is, since buying the house in late summer, and then doing all of the above, I didn't get the seed into the ground until the last week of August. So it only had a couple months of growing before going dormant. It grew faster than I expected, but just enough to make it through the winter. Very sparse still.

Flash forward to today - my back yard has been taken back over by weeds again this spring, mostly dandelion. But these dandelion are massive. I pulled many and the tap roots are huge. Since the grass didn't full fill in, it made it very easy for the weeds to come back.

My question is, with my centipede still very young and sparse to start out the growing season, when do I apply a fertilizer and apply a herbicide (if at all)? Don't I need to wait until the green-up is over? Or even longer until the centipede has started to really grow and fill in? Which should I apply first?

Do I want to get the weeds out first, allowing the grass to fill in easier? or will the herbicide hurt the young grass just greening up?

Or do I apply the fertilizer, let both the grass and weeds grow stronger, and then kill off the weeds once the grass can handle it?

It seems my situation isn't well discussed any place, because most people don't plant centipede seed late in the season. Thanks for any insight from someone who is probably over thinking this - it's just a shame to have a new house and not be able to enjoy the back yard!

Thanks.

Comments (9)