SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljezuit

Looking for an Apple Tree

ljezuit
14 years ago

I have always wanted to plant an Apple Tree in my back yard. Unfortunately my back yard is relatively small. I joined the Arbor day foundation just a few weeks ago and in their brochures they sell dwarf and semi dwarf apple trees and suddenly I feel like I would be able to plant one.

I had a few questions I was hoping someone couple help with. The area I have is in the corner of the yard and is located near my vegetable garden (About 6-8 feet). Would I still be able to keep my vegetable garden if I planted an apple tree nearby? My plan is to tear out the garden and make a crescent shape in the corner. In the middle would be the tree along with some bushes/flowers. On either end I would grow my few tomatoes and peppers. I was wondering if this would work because of the tree roots?

Also I am looking for some recommendations. I would like the tree to stay small (No larger than say 15-20 feet) and in an ideal situation I would like it to bear a fruit that could be used to eat as well as make sauce as my wife would like to learn. Lastly, there are no other apple trees in the neighborhood with the exception of about 6 Prairie Fire crabapples (One of which is in my front yard). So whatever I choose would have to bloom at the same time I believe. I live in Zone 5 and more specifically the south suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Comments (16)