SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunbum_gw

Easiest way to install 'new' fescue lawn?

sunbum
13 years ago

This question may have a plainly simple answer, for that I apologize in advance.

We have just (late last fall) moved into a new (to us) home. The home and lawn are about 12 years old. It appears the prior owners did not take much interest or care in the lawn or landscaping.

The front 'lawn' is mostly shaded by large hardwood trees. There is a portion by the road (maybe 30% of the yard) that gets some afternoon sun. The 'lawn' looks like bermuda (very common here in ATL) but the only place it is growing is by the street and even there it is thin and about half weeds. The rest of the yard is virtually 100% weeds... or dirt.

We are still in the midst of about a million other things and I just don't have the time right now to do a full-blown lawn installation. So, I'm looking for a little help...

Like I said, 70% of the yard is (or will be in the summer) mostly shaded. Bermuda just isn't going to work here. I guess Fescue is my best option huh?

Assuming I'll just seed and straw the yard to get some kind of 'lawn' going this spring, what's the quickest / easiest way to 'prep' the weedy areas before throwing out the seed? I'm sure the right answer is to spray & kill everything, till it all up and re-plant the whole yard, but I really don't know if I have time for that right now.

Regarding the half Bermuda, half weed area near the street (probably about 2000 square feet). Do I try to salvage that Bermuda and have 70% Fescue and 30% Bermuda, or just Fescue the whole lawn?

Thanks for the help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21