SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojojojojoebob

zoysia grass w/ shade

MojojojoJoeBob
13 years ago

To give some background I'm from Florida and miss my St. Augustine since I moved to Northern VA. Even on nice lawns when they're wet they feel like I'm walking in sewage. I also love the way you just need to put some decent edging and the creeping grasses take care of the weeds. I thought I'd never be able to have a St Augustine style lawn until I heard about zoysia.

I know it goes dormant but I'd rather have a nice thick lawn that makes a walkable blanket than year round green. There's no need to worry about the neighbors, I've got bamboo growing around the edges of the area that's already more of a problem (I didn't plant it).

It seems as though Zenith is the best bet but I'm open to ideas. What I want to know is A. what times of the year does the grass spring up and go dormant?

B. a good part of my front lawn has a lot of trees and thus tons of shade. B. Is there anything I can do for the shade if I use zoysia?

C. My front and back lawn together are about 1800 sqft. of good sun and 900 of fairly dense shade. How quick would it spread over the area if it's only growing roughly 6 mos. a year?

Comment (1)