SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucky8926

Which kind of grass to plant, we have dogs

lucky8926
15 years ago

We bought our house last August and the back yard is...well it's pretty much grassless. The previous owners didn't take very good care of much of anything here but we're getting everything turned back around.

There is quite a bit of shade in the back yard due to a lot of trees but i'm going to have some of them trimmed to allow some sunlight back there. We have 3 dogs so I need to find a pretty hardy grass that will take some abuse of them running around. They are inside/outside dogs so they won't be on it 24/7 just when we let them out to play & bathroom breaks. I know pee/poo can wreak havoc on grass but i'm not too worried about that. A few yellow spots I can tolerate, I just don't want a super sensitive grass that can't stand up to 3 dogs (border collie, boxer & German Shepherd) running around and rough houseing.

We live in Central Illinois so we I need something that can make it through hot summers (can get up to 100 or a little over) and well below 0 in the winter.

Right now there is basically no grass at all so i'm working with dirt so I want something that grows fairly fast also. I know there are some grasses that you can mix in that grow fast while the other slower growing permanent grass is getting established...

Whew that was long winded!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm