SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Grafting Pawpaw, mulberry, peach, jujube, and persimmon?

milehighgirl
10 years ago

I have several rootstocks left from trees that gave up the ghost, so to speak. I would like to learn how to graft these less popular trees: Pawpaw, mulberry, peach, jujube, and persimmon. I have only successfully grafted pear and apple so far.

Pawpaw: I am surprised that my dead pawpaw is sending up new shoots. This makes me very happy! Will it be too soon to graft to them next spring? Should I select one single shoot now and remove the others?

Mulberry: I have two mulberry rootstocks from Illinois Everbearing. First I need to find where I can get mulberry scion. I would like to try Oscar and Girardi. Standard spring grafting with dormant scion?

Peach: Last year my PF-24C broke due to too high fruit set w/o enough support. This is really not my favorite cultivar so I thought to learn on it. If I take scion from above the tree and graft the same onto the trunk should I use a bark graft (Konrad's modified)? How far above ground should I cut the tree? Is this the proper time to do it? I am confused about peach. If I remember it should be grafted during the growing season and not spring with last years dormant new growth, correct?

Jujube & Persimmon: My jujube and persimmon also went bye-bye. I can get scion for these from England. Since they are only sending up shoots this year will next spring be too soon? The shoots are only a few inches high right now.

I have The Grafter's Handbook but these trees are not mentioned much if at all. Thank you:)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus