SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

best time for grafting in the field?

cousinfloyd
12 years ago

I'm unclear about when the best time is to graft and/or bud onto seedlings in the field (like the callery pears in the other thread), and I'm hoping y'all can give me better understanding. I have persimmons, callery pears, mulberries, pawpaws, sour cherries, and a peach in the ground that I want to graft or bud onto this year. What grafting and budding options would you all think best for these things? My only successful experience is with whip and tongue grafting, but I'm eager to learn other methods. My main question is about timing, though. Some of the callery pear buds are cracking open and showing leaves already. Is right now the best time to graft? Even if it's supposed to get down in the low 20's tonight? Does that matter at all? Should I have already grafted several weeks ago?

For grafting persimmons I found a PDF online from David Osborn, and he recommended what I guess is a fairly standard bark graft to be done after the tree has fully leafed out around May. Would I have better success that way than whip and tongue grafting right at bud break? (I've had some limited success with that in previous years.) In a bark graft, does the cambium of the rootstock peel back and remain with the bark (such that the cambium contact is face to face with the cambium of the scion)?

Is right at bud break the best time for whip and tongue grafts onto all species already in the field?

Comments (3)