SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Grafting lessons 2007

Scott F Smith
17 years ago

I learn a few things every year. This year I was grafting a wide variety of things, a dozen different kinds of fruit. Here is my general grafting method. Generally I graft when the new leaves are just coming out, 1" or so, or sometimes a bit later than that. I use parafilm to wrap and also may put a piece of aluminum foil over the graft area to even out the temperature. I sometimes used Doc Farwells to coat the grafts as well, to prevent drying out. I haven't noticed much difference with the different types of grafts in the past and I did several types as needed: wedge, cleft, bark.

For the parafilm wrapping I am now more convinced of the good of getting many wraps and as tight as possible. I will cover the whole area with 3-4 layers, pulled as tight as possible as I go around. Also unless the scion is teeny I use the wide tape which is also thicker. This tight wrap improves the contact in a wedge graft since the two pieces will not be cut 100% perfectly flat.

I am still having problems with grape grafts. I had several mature stocks I was topworking. I removed all the sprouts and cut bleeding cuts right below the grafts so they would not get flushed out. But it looks like most of them will not take. Just after I grafted the weather got cooler, high 60's kind of thing. I don't think that was a good idea, 80's are what grapes like. I also didn't paint them with Doc Farwells and this was probably a mistake given the fact that the grafts were callousing much more slowly at the colder temps and could have dried out.

The jury is still out on the persimmon grafts. I still don't understand persimmons, they behave differently than the other plants. The grafts take longer to take. I must have done them three weeks ago and a few are just starting to push. I did paint them with Farwells since I knew they took a long time to heal. I have been very good about removing sprouts.

I experimented with a couple fig grafts but they look like a bust. I guess I will have to root them instead.

I can now call myself an expert in stone fruit grafts, I had nearly all takes on the peaches, apricots, and plums. I believe the key is a tight wrap and temperatures that are warm but not too warm - highs in the 70's or low 80's. Plus the aluminum foil over the graft helps keep the direct sun from overheating it. I also used Doc Farwells on all of them.

I grafted the pears very early since I figured they would take whenever I grafted them. This was right before that major cold snap. The cold was not good at all for them, it took them a long, long time before they started growing -- over a month. I also did not put any Doc Farwells on them since I was not worried about them. Some of the buds got very dried-out looking. But, recently they have started to push. I think only one is not going to make it.

I did the apples when it was cool (high 50's low above freezing). All of them took. Pawpaws were grafted around the same time and seem to have done OK.

I grafted some jujubes when they were leafing out, which was about the same time as the stone fruits. Some are starting to push now. I don't know if they will all take, however. Jujube scions are odd, there are some "big" buds out of which many shoots will come and there are "small" buds out of which only a couple shoots will come. The big buds are taking now but not the small ones. I have had mixed luck with jujube grafting in the past.

Scott

Comments (22)