SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ormewoodian

to till or not to till?

ormewoodian
14 years ago

My husband and I have been planning for some time to re-plant our front lawn with zoysia sod. We have been doing a lot of research and have anticipated tilling up the soil and amending it with organic matter to provide better growing conditions than what the past few years of drought have left us with.... Until now that is, where I have come to find people on this forum suggesting that tilling is the WORST thing you can do to prepare the earth for sod.

I wanted to see if that opinion holds true for all situations - even for circumstances like mine where I have horrible soil quality to work with. The past few years of drought in Georgia have left us with an extremely compacted red clay dirt lawn. We had some nice fescue when we moved into our place in 2006, but it never had much time to develop a good root system before the hot weather hit and has suffered badly. I was thinking zoysia would be a better choice for us since the front of our property gets FULL sun.

We have a 40' x 30' front lawn - and were planning on only planting about half of that with sod and leaving the rest for shrubs and flowers, etc. Since we are planning on creating beds in addition to the lawn - we are going to need to till for the beds anyway. (And we do have a tiller free to use at our disposal). Would a landscaper just laugh at me if I called and asked them to bring a tractor to my 30' x 20' plot?! (I figure I can follow the leveling instructions here if absolutely necessary: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/lawns/2006081607030653.html)

I guess I have a couple of specific questions that I need answers to...

1. Should I really not till and amend the section where I plan on laying sod even though the condition of my soil is laughable?

2. If I do till, would it be beneficial to till and then apply a non-selective herbicide AFTER (instead of before) to kill off any weed seeds that we might bring to the surface of the ground?

3. I still haven't been able to determine exactly what type of organic amendments (or top dressing if tilling is really THAT bad) to buy... I was planning on going to this place (http://www.luxurylandscape.com/soilcompost.html) for what I need. Do y'all have any suggestions for what might be best? I am going to get a soil test before hand to see if I need lime (I probably do) and I haven't asked anyone at the supplier for their opinion yet, I just figured I would ask here first!

Thanks!

Comments (13)