SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdatkinson85

Best grass for success in hard clay?

kdatkinson85
12 years ago

Hello all, new guy here on the forum (and also new to lawn care other than mowing it). I just purchased a new house a year ago and my lawn needs some serious help. The builder apparently used the cheapest bermuda sod he could find and also didn't do anything to the soil before putting it down and I live in SC with super hard dirt/clay. My entire front yard has this sod and only half my backyard is sodded and the rest is just dirt/weeds. What is my best bet for growing grass successfully here. I don't think the bermuda has much of a chance because it never really grows but is full of bahia. I was hoping to find some sort of quick growing thick grass like winter rye that would be applicable for the summer but haven't read any where that this sort of grass exists. I wish I could change to St. Augustine but then I wouldn't match the rest of my neighborhood. Any help/advice would be most appreciated. Also, with my soil being so hard how can I get seed to grow in the remainder of my back yard? I tried tilling it up but it was like trying to break through granite...

Comments (8)