SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tpapa2001

Oak Leaves problem(s)?

tpapa2001
10 years ago

Hi All,
Hope all are well.
I have a question and hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.

I have three oak trees in front of my house, two are on my property and the other is on my neighbor. I have St.Augustine lawn; over the years, the oak leaves are choking my lawn, I manually ranked under neat the tree as much as I could but it's time consuming and by the time I'm done with one tree, I'm wore out. These leaves are small so it slipped thru between the teeth; 10-15 stokes just to get a handful of leaves. Thus the grass under and around these oak trees are not doing very well.

I mulch mowed mine lawn as well, and I think this adds to the problem. This past weekend I decided to mow with a bag and collect the clippings. I managed to pick up some of the oak leaves but not as much.

Can I use a dethatcher attachment on my mower to help pick up the oak leaves/dethatch in these areas? Will this kill the grass? Photo below is from Google map and it's old, but it give you an idea of the area I'm dealing with. The other oak tree is located on the other side of the drive way.

Thanks in advance your advice.

T

Comments (14)