SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksfaustin_gw

Unknown pest(s) on Monterrey Oak - please help

ksfaustin
17 years ago

I have a Monterrey oak with a problem - maybe more than one. Can you help me identify what is happening and tell me how to get rid of the pests? The leaves are browning around the edges. The are also badly eaten, primarily in the middle but also around the edges to some extent. The middle of the leaves have holes in an almost symmetrical pattern.

{{gwi:1191098}}

{{gwi:1191100}}

When I look at the tree, I can't locate any particular sort of pest. But there are a few insect casings that I suspect is some sort of leaf roller. They are definitely not the oak leaf roller so common in Central Texas in the spring, though. They are much fatter. But I only find a few of these, and the damage to the tree is widespread. There is hardly a leaf on it that doesn't have some sort of damage.

{{gwi:1191102}}

{{gwi:1191104}}

Whatever it is, they attack the new growth very early. In this picture you can already see the tiny holes.

{{gwi:1191106}}

We just planted this tree last fall. We water it weekly. It seems like the browning on the edges might have a different cause than what is causing the holes and chewed up edges...(?)

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Comments (8)