SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

GE Profile S-by-S Stainless JUNK- problems w/water line, etc.

kimcoco
15 years ago

We have a piece of crap GE Profile side by side stainless refrigerator, maybe 3-4 years old now. Would never recommend to anyone, but I digress...

We have had ongoing problems with the water line, freezer not maintaining proper temperature, fluctuates from zero to 10-15 degrees, etc., etc. Water dispenser works only some of the time.

I've cleaned the compressor many times, it's not the problem.

The first time they came out we were told to adjust the levers in the crisper drawers and raise the temp of the freezer and refrigerator by 1 degree, keep the fridge door open until the water line thaws. That's no joke.

Are you fricken kidding me???? Yeah, that went over well.

The water line keeps cracking, leaking all over our kitchen floor and basement. We've repaired many times, and it still happens. It ALWAYS happens when we leave town for the weekend/week, and my thought is that the line is freezing, cracking, thawing, leaking, and that's how the story goes. Of course, we turn the water off now when we leave, but still leaks at any moment in time.

We would turn the water off entirely and forget about the water dispenser entirely, but then we have no ice and seem to have more problems with the freezer temps fluctuating (and the refrigerator) when the water is shut off.

Seems like many problems with the regulation of temperature are related to whether the water line is working properly, but who am I to say? It's a lemon if I ever saw one.

We store MOST of our food items in a stand alone freezer in the basement. Heh. Seems if you have too many pizzas in freezer that's another reason for it to stop working. Or, maybe the lemon really wasn't designed to freeze food, just for appearances. I'm beginning to wonder...

With that said, I was thinking of replacing the usual plastic water tubing with copper instead. I see the copper water lines for the freezer, but not for the water/drinking line. Any reason why this is?

That may solve our dilemma with the plastic cracking and water leaking. Or I can just kick this expensive piece of garbage to the curb, after I take a baseball bat to it a few times.

Did you hear that someone was recently arrested because he went outside and shot his lawnmower with a shotgun? Yeah, he was upset that his brand new lawnmower wasn't working, so he felt it was his right. It was on the news recently. Well, that's how I FEEL about my refrigerator! Too bad, I don't own a shotgun.

So, is copper tubing a feasible replacement for the cheap plastic water lines that GE sells?

Comment (1)