SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

How did you decide b/w a range & a cooktop w/ wall oven(s)?

babs711
13 years ago

We've had ranges since we've been married. For the past five years we've had the Maytag Gemini (with the larger bottom oven and the smaller upper) and it's been wonderful. We have an upcoming house build and will be starting from scratch. Our architect sent us a questionnaire of things to be thinking about over the next month until our meeting with him. I was pretty much able to go down the list pretty quickly and yes/no things that we've already talked about wanting or not wanting. But the cooking appliances was one of the questions that I haven't figured out yet and don't quite know how to.

I know I don't want a cooktop in my island so it will be facing a wall or window. I know I want a range-hood. It's nice to have the double ovens because of the ease of cooking things at two different temperatures at the same time. So we could do the same range or a bigger professional side-by-side oven style (which is probably out of our budget now that we decided to up our refrigerator size to 48") or the Jenn-Air version of the Maytag Gemini or go with a cooktop and double wall ovens and the microwave somewhere. There's also the option of doing a range and a single oven and putting the microwave over it.

Is there an advantage to one over the other? How did YOU decide? Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comments (41)

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Many people like the convenience of a higher built in oven.
    Some people like having their broiler under the vent.
    Personally if I had the room I would do an all gas range and single built in electric oven.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

For me it came down to room in the kitchen. I think I would rather have the higher built oven but it was not going to work in our kitchen. I needed at least 6 cooktops so I went with a 48" range.

• Related Discussions

Your Opinions re: Range vs Cooktop & Wall Oven

Q

Comments (5)
    I have a range and wall oven. We are in the middle of having lots of gatherings at our house. We are in our late 50s. I did get a range for one oven because I thought it would be good to have it under the hood. I use it mostly though when I a cooking for a big group and cook the long cooking things in it. I probably would buy separate pieces when I do my next kitchen. Some advantages for separate components for me would be - the ability to pick the "best" of each - the ability to place each appliance in the best place ergonomically - each piece can be replaced separately if need be I think ergonomics is one of the most overlooked things in some of the kitchens I've seen. I don't think looking ahead a little is a bad thing especially if you want to age in place. Changes in your abilities can come on suddenly. A friend of mine has issues with balance and the first thing the occupational therapist told her was no bending over to the oven.
    ...See More

Problem w/install of wolf cooktop over electrolux wall oven

Q

Comments (4)
    Sorry weedmeister, I guess I forgot to check off that I wanted any responses sent to my e-mail, so all this time I thought no one had responded to me. Our 36" height counter will have granite installed on it. The cabinet to install/surround the 30" wall oven would be 33" width. Thanks for clarifying that the 4 1/2" toekick area was a maximum and not a minimum. My builder tells me that he thinks he could make it work, but it will definitely be only a couple inches off the ground. The alternative is to change the kitchen design and put the oven to the left of the cooktop where my 33" wide drawer base was going and move the drawers under the cooktop instead. (I'll lose one drawer and they would now be only 30"). Not sure of this compromise and not sure if the oven will look weird sitting to the left of the cooktop, though it may be easier to put things into the oven directly from the cooktop with this configuration. I'm still plugging away, but at this point my builder is at a standstill until appliances are picked so electrician can come in. Any other thoughts appreciated.
    ...See More

Have to choose b/w Bluestar & Thermador 36' ranges this weekend!

Q

Comments (19)
    I've been using my 36" BS for over 2 months now and I continue to find reasons why I love it. It is most definitely a range built for those who love to cook. The high BTU is excellent and I finally bought my wok 2 weeks back and it's simply amazing on the 22K. But that simmer burner... I have yet to burn rice and it makes warming up small amounts of baby food a breeze, even if I walk away and completely forget about it (which seems to happen quite often with the kids). From what I've read on the appliance forum, there really isn't another simmer burner that works like this. I also must comment about how easy it's been to clean. The cast iron grates are a dream compared to my old porcelain and enamel tops. A few wipes or a dry scrub and they are done. I've yet to use any cleaners aside from a soapy sponge on it. Lastly, my oven does come with 3 (not 2) racks, one of which is a full-extension roll-out. My one complaint is that the oven door and knobs get quite warm to touch, hot even, when the oven is on full blast. This topic has been discussed to death over on the appliance forum, so I won't go into it. I really wanted to get the Bosch 800 plus series, but we had to compromise somewhere. If you can trim 1K somewhere else, this is the package I'd go for. Good luck!
    ...See More

moving from cooktop/wall oven to range - would you do it again?

Q

Comments (26)
    Ohmygosh. I thought this would be about pros and cons of cleaning the range top, not bending. Surely not all the people worrying about lifting pans out of an undercounter oven are in their 80s or seriously debilitated from some joint problem? Debility may well be on its way, though. This is absolutely a kitchen design issue. Try this picture: My neighbor has had mild arthritis for a while, pain almost always controlled with aspirin and Tylenol, but it's been a reason for becoming more and more sedentary. She dislikes walking upstairs these days because it wears her out; "fortunately," their bedroom's on the main floor and she seldom has to. I know she never exercises, but I was surprised the other week to see her have difficulty getting out of her armchair. Took two tries, successful after she first boosted herself to the edge. Her progressively more crippled lifestyle isn't from the arthritis, it's from deconditioning, facilitated by her energetic husband who does all the trotting around for them. Of course, she has lots of back pain, and I strongly doubt she can bend much, though wouldn't know. She's somewhere in her early 60s and has NO significant health problems. For those to whom this applies, I strongly recommend getting a wall oven only for positive reasons--NOT in an unintentional but ongoing plan to remove as much healthy exercise from your day as possible. Bending is good. Being able to lift from below safely is good. "Worried about...?" Back strengthening and stretching exercises worked wonders for me after I burst a disk lifting; no more back pain, no more back injuries from weak muscles for close to 20 years. BTW, I'm in my mid 50s and put my undercounter oven to the side of the cooktop in my new kitchen so I don't stand in front of it. It's right there where I work and nice and easy for basting and viewing. I'm very pleased with it and would do it again for sure, although I would like a wall oven too if I had room for it. When the day comes I have problems, which it will--the signs are in my increasingly bad spine posture, I'll have the incentive to do those exercises in front of the TV again for a while.
    ...See More
  • doonie
    13 years ago

At first I was set on a range, with another wall oven and micro somewhere else because I thought it made sense aesthetically. Then my GC started me thinking. He reminded me that the door opening on the range is closer to the ground than the lower oven of double wall ovens. Plus, with a rangetop (we ended up going with a Wolf 6 burner), you can have 2 sets of storage drawers immediately below. So, functionally it made more sense to me. We have the tray cabinet above our double wall oven and I have a drawer below the double ovens that I keep my silicon cooking mats and broiler pan in. We went with a drawer microwave in the center island. I have been very happy with this set up. I really like not having to bend way over to get things out of the ovens. Plus ours (GE Monogram) have the racks that pull out, which makes it even easier.

• momj47
    13 years ago

I went with a cooktop and wall oven because I hated my old electric range. It stuck out like a sore thumb. I was able to switch to gas, too. I wanted the burner controls on the side, not the back or the front, that was non-negotiable. I got burned trying to adjust the burners behind some big canning pots. Having the controls on the side keeps them away from the grandchildren, too. I really dislike that ugly backsplash on the back of ranges, too.

I like that the cooktop isn't a focal point, it sort of disappears into the counter. I'm very pleased with both the cooktop and the range.

• attygirl
    13 years ago

I went with a four burner cooktop, microwave drawer under the cooktop and separate double ovens. I had to decide between one of those 6 burner professional ranges versus this set up. I did not have the room to do 6 burners plus separate double ovens. I realized that I rarely used more than two burners at a time, but was constantly struggling over oven space with my prior single oven, and constantly having to stoop down to take things out of the oven. I am currently in the tear down stage and those appliances are in the garage, but I think I made the right decision. It really comes down to personal preferences and how you cook. Keep a tally over a period of time and see how you actually function in your kitchen. Then take that info and see if it will help with your decision making.

• muskokascp
    13 years ago

We are remodeling as well and at first I thought I wanted a larger dual fuel range with two side by side ovens. However, that has now changed to a 36" induction cooktop and a single wall oven with a speed oven/microwave above it.
    Having the ovens raised was more of a draw to me than having a range. Plus, we don't have gas here, only propane, and the reviews of induction swayed me in that direction. The speed oven/microwave will fit in with our busy lifestyle with kids and sports and allow us to prepare a good meal in short order before we dash out the door for the rink.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

We went with a range b/c we got a fantastic deal on a Wolf. I also liked the idea of the broiler under the hood.

We were originally going for a Wolf rangetop and double ovens, for many of the reasons stated, but I must say I love the range, a lot. The bending over isn't an issue like I worried about. I hadn't had a "regular" low oven in 12 years, though.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I am not that tall. I remember every holiday my grandmother would need my grandfather to help her get the turkey out of the wall oven because it was too high for her to lower a 30 pound turkey plus pan from the wall oven to the counter. I knew from that that I wanted a range, because it's easier for me to feel in control lifting up big heavy roaster than trying to safely lower it.

We have a 36 inch all gas oven.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I went to a big appliance showroom and kind of "tried" things out. At one point I thought I wanted a range but when I opened and closed wall ovens and looked into them at eye level, I found I really liked that higher location vs. the lower ovens in a range - which is what I'd lived with all my life. Five years later I'm really happy with that decision. I especially like that I can easily take a look into the oven as I'm passing by rather than bending over to get down to the oven level and get a look.

Another benefit I discovered over time. I have a stainless range at my weekend lake place. I use the cooktop quite a bit more than the oven so I find that the front as well as the top is often a mess from cooking. So I'm cleaning the whole smeary stainless behemoth rather than just the part I used. That's not a problem at home - the outside of the wall ovens really don't ever get very dirty other than around the handles.

• holligator
    13 years ago

The main factor in my decision was counterspace. I had double ovens and a cooktop in my previous kitchen, and I had a desperately small counter work area. With the expansion of our kitchen into the dining room and the addition of a decent-sized island, I probably would have been fine with the ovens in the new kitchen. But, after years of deprivation, I couldn't handle the thought of anything taking up space that could be used for more counter.

I saw the picture below advertising the AGA legacy ovens, and it convinced me that a range would provide me all the oven space I needed without eating up what could be used as counterspace. My subsequent experience with the AGA taught me that the ad picture was really, really good ad photography. The ovens don't hold nearly what I imagined they would, but they have been sufficient for most things I've needed.

• melaska
    13 years ago

I've had a range all my life but have always wanted a wall oven. My mother-in-law had one & I loved it.

Now...over 33 years later, I'm finally going to get one. We're building in the Spring. I was going to just go with a range since I didn't want to eat up space in our medium-sized kitchen. Well, wouldn't you know...I had a reminder why I should think more seriously about a wall oven.

My BACK decided for me. It went out 'again' and that's when I thought, "Ok, no matter what it takes, I need to have a wall oven. I roasted 2 whole chickens last week & had to get hubby to lift out about 5 times during cooking...and this was without my back hurting. I didn't have back problems until about 5 years ago.

So, we have a wall oven at one end of a counter run and a raised dishwasher (wall micro will be above) at the other end with my fridge right next to it along with a 1' pull-out pantry ending the run. I'll have an island to help with counter space.

This will be our first dishwasher - yes, have been doing them by hand all this time :) I figured I'd better not add to my back woes...all that additional bending & stooping - no, not a good idea for me!

I am looking forward to the drawer space underneath a cooktop. We like gas...I'd like an electric oven but our electricity rates here in our small Alaska town are horrendous.

Good luck in whatever you decide :)

• brickmanhouse
    13 years ago

We're a multi-cook family, so our goal was to double up on as much as we could (two sinks, two microwaves, two dishwashers, two ovens), and also separate areas as much as we could, so multiple cooks wouldn't be on top of each other working in the space.

Having two ovens was a must for us, but we couldn't decide whether to go with a double wall oven and cooktop, or a range with a separate oven somewhere else. We've always had double wall ovens, so were initially leaning towards that configuration. Ultimately, though, we went with a range and single oven, primarily for configuration/layouot reasons. We're very happy with our choice, and would have been equally happy with double wall ovens, I'm sure.

So think about how you cook and live in the kitchen. Do you need two ovens? If you do, would it benefit you to have them in a completely separate place from the cooktop, or would that just be more walking?

• wallycat
    13 years ago

It's just DH and I and we are planning (if we build) wall oven and rangetop. I do more cooking than baking/roasting and I wanted 6 burners if possible. I did not want a ginormous oven or two traditional ovens. I am 5'4" and I don't want to reach for hot things out of the oven, but the oven can be placed at ANY height...so we will put it on the end at the height that works for me. If we were not getting a rangetop, I would simply put the oven under the cooktop if height bothered me.
    I also wanted a speedcook oven/microwave and that will go above the traditional oven. I think it depends on the type of cooking you do and where you spend most of your time.
    For me, the 6 burner will be a dream...the oven is just for the occasional stuff I roast/broil.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I am switching from cooktop and oven to a range. I will use the added counter space every day. I rarely use the oven and can easily use a countertop oven and speed oven for nearly everything. So for me it was a good tradeoff. Plus, I'm short!

• clergychick
    13 years ago

We went the very unusual route of having a 5 burner cooktop with one wall oven installed below and a second wall oven in a different area below the counter. We thought about double wall ovens, but hated to give up that counterspace -- and where we would have put it would have been next to fridge and microwave and we really use that space a lot!

Good luck figuring out what works for your space!

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

I was ready to get double ovens & a cooktop. Then I discovered that double ovens vent into the kitchen. I use the broiler a LOT for fish and I want to be able to vent the oven/broiler as much as I vent the cooktop. This is a retirement home in the mountains & we'll use it for the big family get togethers. We've decided on the Maytag like you have, Babs, for the main kitchen. We'll have a kitchenette in the basement & put in a regular stove to provide back up instead of just a micro & toaster oven in the basement. It's the venting that is my big issue. It will then free up that space for an extra prep sink.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

For me, 36" induction cooktop and wall oven with speed oven above it. My ovens are in an out of the way quirky space so it doesn't eat up counterspace at all. I"ve always wanted separate wall ovens and was able to put them at a height that was perfect for me (5' tall).

• rnest44
    13 years ago

I went with a 30" Wolf range with full extension racks. I'm short so those racks make it a good fit for me. I use the cooktop multiple times a day and the oven several times a week. My DH came up with the perfect solution for those few times I need another oven. We moved a wall oven from our existing kitchen to an area across the great room that we use for entertaining. My electrical guy helped made it happen. I modified the cabinet so it slid right in. We started the upgrade to that area when we made it our temp. kitchen during the reno. We've been using the new kitchen since April and I'm happy. What I'm not thrilled with is the MW under the counter in the island.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

We use our ovens a LOT. Some of these things have been said by others, but benefits for me in having rangetop and dbl wall oven:

- No hot oven in front of me as I cook at the stove, and wonderful drawers for my pots and pans instead.

- Someone can cook and someone can bake without trying to access the same appliance...and each task can have its own work areas in separated locations, each convenient to their own appliance. Even if we both utilize the island as work space, it's different areas/sides of the island.

- I can see into the oven from almost anywhere into the kitchen to keep an eye on whatever is roasting/baking

- I have a 48" gas rangetop with 8 burners, and 2 full-size electric ovens. I could choose the size, fuel-type, and features I wanted for each without compromising because of combining them into one unit.

- Ovens at easier height for seeing into and putting things in/getting things out. Even the lower one isn't as low as a range oven.

• nedclayhouse
    13 years ago

This was a dilemma for me. I decided on the 48" range because:
    - I wanted a focal point for the kitchen
    - I wanted a 48" SS fridge and I felt the range balanced it
    - I felt I would use the smaller side oven a lot for just the 2 of us
    - My wall space was limited and I wanted cabinets more than oven height convenience
    - It was more expensive to buy the ovens separately
    I have just started remodeling and it will be a year before I know if I made the "right" decision. Good luck to you and your decision making.

• plllog
    13 years ago

It was easy for me: I hate cooking on ranges, and have only ever had them in a couple of rentals. (Used other, better ranges (including commercial) elsewhere, so I know for me it's an I hate cooking on a range deal, not a quality deal.) Even in student rentals, I usually had separate ovens.

How should you choose? Decide how you like to cook. Do you want to pop things right from the stovetop into the oven and be right there to check while you're stirring something else? Do you hate bending? Do you like having all the cooking in one small space? Do you want the kids to be baking in the ovens while you're starting dinner on the stove?

Most of all, I have to say KUDOS to the architect who pays attention to your kitchen desires before starting.

• beth4
    13 years ago

My last house had an island cook top & a wall oven. Only after I lived in that kitchen did I learn that I do not like the wall oven configuration. I'm 5'6" tall, and discovered I did not like removing heavy things from the oven....I just didn't feel safe or secure removing large pans from the higher oven height.

I've been in this home for 5 years, and remodeled its kitchen before I moved in. Based on what I learned in my last house, I installed a DF Wolf range, and have never looked back. It's much easier to remove heavy items from the oven, and I much prefer the convenience of having the oven located with the range.

I'm not sure it's something you know about yourself until you've lived with it.

Good luck making your decision.

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

Our decision was to go with a Maytag Gemini (and, like you, I just love it....what a great range it's turned out to be!) only because we didn't have the space for double ovens without putting them in an awkward space in our kitchen. So, we did the Maytag and then an OTR MW (horror of horrors, I know, according to so many here. But it's done a fine job for us, saved us space, and we vented it really well to the outside. And I'd never had one before, so I wasn't negative about the look.)and it's been just great for the two of us.

But, if I had more room, I'd have done the double ovens, gas cooktop, nice big hood, and MW somewhere else. In the words of the Rolling Stones, "You can't always get what you want."

Lots of words of wisdom here!

• misplacedtxgal
    13 years ago

Everyone makes a good point - it's all about how you cook and your lifestyle. I was all set to add a pro range to my kitchen (going from separate pieces) until I went in and look at the ranges. I just couldn't imagine hoisting a 30 lb. turkey from practically off the floor. But that's just me.

I had not thought of wanting the broiler under the vent as I don't broil much, but it's definitely something to consider if you do. On the other hand, I have two friends that hate standing over the hot oven while trying to use their burners & we live in Wisconsin! So, again it's all about how you cook.

I think it also depends on how much you use the oven and how far away they would be if you were to separate them.

One great suggestion I found on GW was to pick a recipe or two and run through them step by step in both configurations. I did this and actually counted my motions. I was surprised by the outcome! As I'm all about cooking as efficiently as possible with my limited time I chose the best option to meet my needs. In the end, I'm keeping my cooktop on my island. At first my top priority was to get the cooktop off the island, but every option greatly increased my work triangle (I'm the lone cook, so the triangle makes more sense for me than zones). In the end I decided that I would hate this far worse than the cooktop where it is. WE figured out a way to increase the surface area of the island and I am pleased with my decision. It took me months to get to this place however. So take your time and good luck!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Size of kitchen and size of family were the driving forces behind our decision to put a range in the new kitchen. Our initial plan had 2 wall ovens and a cooktop. But after I sat with the plans for a but I decided I wasn't crazy about the location of the ovens (far away from the rest of the working area in the kitchen), that the room was just not big enough for them and that since we are only 2 people who do not even have a formal dining room and we've done just fine with a range for as long as we've lived her, a range would better suit our needs. We got a 30" AG Wolf. I can't wait to use it.

• pence
    13 years ago

I decided for a cooktp with double ovens because i use my cooktop the most. I hardly ever use ovens. I don't do casseroles and i don't bake. So I didn't want the handles from the oven in my way when I stand at the cooktop. When I do use ovens, I'm just shoving the stuff in and walking away, so I even put them in a corner of my kitchen so that they are out of the way

• lascatx
    13 years ago

For me it was all about the height of the ovens and ease of use. I am tall and would not want ovens just off the floor.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

I've had a cooktop and wall oven setup for 17 years. With the remodel I'll be going to a range. I like the convenience of the wall oven and will miss it, but in my small space going to a range gives me the most storage space and options. If I could have found a way to fit both the wall oven and also have a pantry, I would have kept it.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

I have a cooktop, single oven & MW set-up in our current kitchen. I considered going with a range when we remodel. What can I say, I'm in love with the look of the Bertazonni ranges (can a range be considered cute?) and a range gave me more lay-out options but no matter how many times I tried out ranges at the stores, I couldn't get past the whole gotta-bend-over-to-get-items-out issue. I'm almost 5'4" and have over the years had lower back issues. That is now under control (knocking on wood) but I realize that problem could resurface at any time and make life complicated. So I'm choosing a cooktop, single oven and speed cook/MW oven combo when we finally remodel.

I have to say, though, that I seriously had second thoughts after seeing the be-yoo-ti-ful Bertazonni range in shanghaimom's kitchen. Gawd, that thing is gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shanghaimom's kitchen

• babs711
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Great thoughts and opinions! I really appreciate all of them! One thing I forgot to ask (well two really):

1) Those of you who have had ranges, do you notice that the heat radiates from them more so than with wall ovens? We're trying to figure out if this is isolated with OUR range or if it's other ranges AND/OR if it's a range vs. oven thing.

2) Those with non-pro GAS ranges and ovens, how long does your oven take to warm up? I'm asking this because my parents' Maytag Gemini (which is electric) warms up lightning fast. Ours does not at all. Again, I'm trying to figure out if this is isolated to our range or if it's all gas ranges.

And WOW, how did I miss Shanghaimom's kitchen? Thank you Lisa for posting that! It's stunning and I've saved it to my favorites. I love everything about it, including the range!

• rnest44
    13 years ago

1. Yes, my DF range radiates more heat than my wall oven did and more than the second oven I've installed under a counter. I placed it so the heat has room to move across a 48" aisle into the great room. I think I might like this in our long northern winters. ;) So far the general spaciousness of our layout and the oodles of counter out weighs any doubt I had with my decision. We've had hot, humid summer for our area too.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Babs, unfortunately your new questions aren't about ranges vs. wall ovens, but which range vs. which wall ovens. Some ovens, range or wall, are really well insulated and don't have a lot of heat out the front. Some are well insulated, but have heat vents out the front so that they're blowing hot air on you on purpose. And some are just poorly insulated, but that's less now that they're all striving for energy conservation ratings.

Convection will help any oven preheat faster. Electric ovens tend to use all elements to preheat (baking lower heat, broiler and fan heat if there's true convection). Therefore, an old fashioned gas oven with only the one fire and no convection probably isn't going to heat up as fast. But, again, it depends on the particular model. Some electric ovens take forever. And sometimes the last thing you want is a speedy preheat.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"was able to put them at a height that was perfect for me (5' tall)."

remodelfla - what was the height of your oven? I'm 5' also.
    going by my sister's oven I was thinking the top of the oven should be about 10" above the counter top (hers is at 36"). I'd have to figure that out since I want a 34" countertop tho.

• colorlady
    13 years ago

I'm remodeling the kitchen now in a house I bought 3 years ago. I had remodeled the kitchen in my previous house and put a single oven in the wall at just the right height for me to just slide things in and out at the most comfortable position for me. I practiced the comfortable spot while DH measured where the center of the oven should be. Then we put the microwave just above it. It was at a height where I would not be reaching up so high that food containers would tip down at me as I took them out. Then of course I had a cooktop in an island. All of this was fabulous. I'll repeat it in this new house. As I have been looking at ranges, because they cost so much less than the option described above, I have found that bending down to the ovens is something I want to avoid. And some of the new ovens seem lower than ever. And those 2nd ovens near the floor????? Give me a break.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

What do you people cook in your ovens? Bowling balls? Heh heh. You must be pulling out 30lb turkeys daily if the weight of your pans is that huge of a concern.

I only cook turkeys once a year (for which my family thanks me) and only on the big green egg, so we decided on a range with two ovens and a warming cabinet because of the space we gained as well as the look. Our ovens have drawers below them so they aren't on the floor and when I do use them I am able to safely open and check the food without being in danger of burning my nose.

We had wall ovens in the old house and hated them, as well as the gas cook top, which IMO is just a horrific waste of space. Now in our new house we have that same crappy set up and will be yanking it out as soon as possible.

But we will still only cook turkeys rarely. As a pure ergonomics issue though, it is always better to lift up verses lift from chest level so for me....I just don't get why people put the stove up on the wall. Much like the drawer microwave...it just feels unsafe.

And ummm they are ugly. Ok IMO but really, I hate big electronics and plastic in the middle of a wall. (I feel the same way about big screen tvs).

• marcydc
    13 years ago

After pulling out the very old range that was in there and looking at the immense amount of aged food on both the cab wall and the range itself - both sides!, I'm very glad I went with a cooktop.

Is one actually supposed to pull them out and clean the sides now and then? I know *my mother* certainly never would have done that!

• melaska
    13 years ago

Igloochic: LOL @ the bowling balls. Your screen name is interesting - are you by chance an Alaskan? I am. :)

I do a lot of bulk cooking. When I cook chicken, I do @ least 2. 3 meatloaves...etc. Doesn't take much more time to fix more & the energy savings is nice. I roast vegetables a lot on 2 very large jelly-roll type pans. As you can see from my post above, my back decided for me.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I was going to ask what small town you were from :). And yup, I'm alaskan as well. We have a home in anchorage. I also live in Washington, but I wasn't going to change my name onscreen to washingchic :p. I'd have to hang out in the laundry forum and those people are wayyyyyyyy too scary for me!

• cpartist
    13 years ago

for me it was a question of ease of cleanup. lol. most of my cooking is done on top of the stove and not in the oven. we only have electric in the condo, so I decided I wanted a separate cooktop and oven. no more having stuff drop down between the range and countertop. my oven is going below the cooktop and is completely touch control (there's that ease of cleaning thing again) as is the cooktop. the oven has a shelf that pulls out fully which will make it easier when getting stuff out of the oven.

oh and btw: my favorite thing to make is reservations atnthe tons of restaurants walking distance from the condo. :)

• melaska
    13 years ago

igloochic: I lived in Anchorage for 5 years before moving to Valdez in 1977. I have a daughter there. We lived in Sacramento, CA for 3 years - I was so glad to get back to Alaska! I couldn't take the heat...so I got out of the kitchen :) Nice to meet a fellow Alaskan!