SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_z6

Apple Variety

bob_z6
11 years ago

I've been trying to decide what I want to plant next spring, while there is still a full selection of inventory and I can get the best grade trees. Can anyone comment on how the following apples have performed? I'm interested in both taste and disease resistance, as I've been going with slender spindle training (~5' spacing) and zip-lock bags as my approach.

I've filled the parts of the yard with the most sun and am now moving on to some areas with 6-7 hours of sun. The main area has morning sun followed by dappled shade in the early afternoon and a bit of direct sun in the late afternoon. Another spot has shade in the morning and direct sun from noon until sundown.

Court Pendu Plat- Scott mentioned this one- he had it in a bad location and was considering removing it. Was fireblight on late blooms the only issue or was there another problem? Also, how bad of a location was it- after all, I'm considering it for a ~6-7 hour sun location too...KuffelCreek and Applenut both say that this apple doesn't do well in the heat, so that gave me hope that it may do well in early afternoon shade.

Swaar- Both Harvestman and Scott have mention this one. The 1913 NY Apple Bulletin says "One of the best for the amateur. Requires deep, rich loam."

Crimson Topaz- Harvestman liked this one a lot last fall.

Sweet Bough- I mentioned this in the recent summer apples thread, as there are some good comments online. It seems like only Axel is growing this, though it hasn't fruited yet for him.

Margil- I know Scott has had inconsistent performance from this. Was the good performance in cooler years? If so, a shaded spot may work well.

Ribston Pippin- I've seen conflicting reports on its disease resistance- some say it is very scab-susceptible, while others say it is has excellent resistance. I've seen several reports that it is susceptible to canker (fireblight?).

Holstein- I've heard a lot of people mention this variety on the forum, but haven't seen much more than they like it. Many appear to be from the pacific NW, so maybe a shaded spot in the NE would work...

Alkmene- This apple has been mentioned recently by Axel a few times, but there isn't much more info in the forums. Washington State has a lot of positive comments on this in their annual fruit reports.

Sansa- Harvestman has recommended this one and it sounds like a good late summer/early fall apple. I was thinking about Zestar (which was excellent from the farmer's market this week), but from what I've heard it is much more scab susceptible than Sansa.

Thanks to everyone who has (and hopefully will continue to :) ) provided this feedback. I hope to be able to reciprocate in kind. This fall I've got apples on the first 3 trees- Ecos Red, Priscilla, and Goldrush (though everyone knows about this one...), with another 18 varieties planted.

Comments (23)