SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subiej

Apple varieties in Zone 4

subiej
12 years ago

Hi there-

We are currently *agonizing* over the process of selecting 3 apple trees for planting this month. We are in Zone 4 (central Vermont).

I've done a lot of Googling on these varieties, but would really like to get some thoughts from people who have grown any of the types we're considering. We're planning to buy them from Elmore Roots (http://www.elmoreroots.com), a local nursery that has an excellent reputation. Here are the ones we're thinking about from that nursery (these are all supposed to do well in zone 4):

Bethel

Connel Red

Hadlock Reinette

Haralson

Honeycrisp

Liberty

Northwest Greening

Red Burke

Scott Winter

Sweet Sixteen

We are thinking maybe Liberty, for apple scab resistance and fresh eating and Northwest Greening for tartness and storage ability. Any thoughts on those two? I'd also like one other, preferably with decent fresh eating and good keeping qualities, and good disease resistance. A tall order! Thinking Does anyone have any recommendations from this list or experience with these varieties?

One other, important question, i think- the nursery offers 3 sizes of potted trees: 5-foot, 6-foot and 7-foot. I am as impatient as the next person, and don't mind paying extra for a more mature tree, but is a 7-foot tree already too big/established to transplant? Does anyone have any thoughts on/experience with this? Again, these are not bare root- they're potted.

I am posting a very similar question about tree size for the pear trees we're planning to plant, so I apologize for the duplication.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Susan

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!