SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arreisierra

Planting Strawberries in Zone 4 (Maybe zone 3)

Joe S
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I can't tell you exactly what zone I am in because most websites show different zones for my zip code.(Burpee says 4 but usda and other sources say zone 3) But for this particular question we will consider I am in 4a -30F to -25F in the winter(North Dakota). My soil is considered alkaline and is located very close to a river.(I will take a soil sample and get the exact pH and make adjustments if needed)

I have ordered 15 catalogs in the past 3 months and have used the information in each catalog to try to make my decision of what plants to buy. In all honesty I can say I am as far from making my decision today as I was the day I ordered all the catalogs. Each catalog basically describes each type of strawberry as being amazing, vigorous and a great option. Very few of them will describe their negatives.

My goal: plant 500-1000 strawberry plants. Have fruit most months out of the summer/fall.

Narrow it down: In my catalogs I basically just crossed out all of the plants that aren't for my zone. Next I took into account the descriptions of each all of which seem to get the same results(some are disease resistant, some have huge berries some are delicious ect...)

So I basically have 10 different varieties that I can plant and still can't decide.

Basic reasoning tells me I should plant two types to keep things simple an everbearing and a june bearing. Or simply plant 100 of each plant to let me make my own decision.

Will planting 100 of each plant actually hurt the crop(issues with cross polinating?) Will planting 100 of each plant spread disease throughout different varieties?

Should I be buying from midwest strawberry distributors as their strawberry plants might be more suitable for the cold midwest or does it not matter because most will grow indoors(tissue cultures) so ordering from the south or the north is a non issue?

I will be using a combination of plasticulture and traditional row planting(no plastic). I read that some varieties are better suited for plasticulture and will take that into account.

My end goal is to have a public U-Pick strawberry patch and to have a private collection for myself.

Comments (2)