SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Need Recommendations for some new Apple Varieties.

denninmi
15 years ago

Hello, all:

I would like to pick your brains about some of your favorite varieties. What have you grown that you consider outstanding or at least very worthwhile.

I would like to add up to 10 new varieties to my orchard next spring. I would like a mixture of dessert/fresh eating types and cooking types. I would like a real apple connisseur's selection, NOT the run of the mill stuff you can get at any grocery store -- I already have those varieties, enjoy them, but want some more unusual apples.

I already have quite a few -- this is what I've got going right now. They range from fully mature to about 3 years old for the youngest ones. I have:

Red Delicious; Golden Delicious; Chestnut Crab; Pink Pearl; Jonathan; Liberty; Stayman Winesap; Winesap; Gala; Braeburn; Fuji; something sold to me as Granny Smith that is most definitely NOT G.S. but a red and yellow striped late summer apple; a seedling grown from the abandoned orchard which existed behind my property until it was developed, this tree is now bearing is basically a Jonathan type; Jonadel; Arkansas Black; William's Pride; Karmijn de Sonnaville; and three of the spire/colonades -- Emerald, Scarlet, and Crimson Spires.

(So, as you see, I clearly NEED more apples -- LOL!)

So, any thoughts on the matter? I've gone over a lot of the old posts, but there are just SO many apples out there to choose from, and also many diverse opinions, that it is a bit overwhelming.

I should add that climate isn't really a problem/issue, with the possible exception of a VERY late ripening apple, which might not make it. Apples usually hang on here until about the 10th of November without freezing.

Dennis

SE Michigan

Comments (14)