SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerrn

Planning a buffalo grass lawn

GardenerRN
12 years ago

I live in Henderson/Las Vegas Nevada and I am planning on taking about 500 sq ft of my backyard and turning into a lawn so my daughter will have a place to play outside, like I did when I was a kid, other than at parks and on concrete or rocks. One thing that I always hated about lawns was the amount of water used and the amount of mowing needed. I have done some research and came to the conclusion that buffalo grass would probably be the most eco friendly way to do this and lowest maintenance way of accomplishing this. I was looking at starting from seeds as well.

The yard is on the south side of the house and I have 2 crepe myrtle trees planted in the back yard about 2 ft from the west wall. I am mainly wondering if this task is going to be as easy as people make it sound (tilling about 2-3 inches of dirt, broadcasting the seed, covering them with some soil and keeping them moist)? How long will it take before there is a lawn that can be walked on? I believe that I will need a pound of seed is that enough? When is the best time to plant them for this location? I was thinking of intermixing some wildflowers good or bad idea? I am sure that I will think of more questions later. Thanks in advance for any reponses.

~Scott

Comments (18)