SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

should I plan lawn grass, or alternative?

mayland
16 years ago

Hello, I am new around here. I've been busy on the Kitchens and Bathrooms forums as we bought an old ranch in Atlanta (Druid Hills) that needed everything doing. Finally its time to think about the yard.

We have about 2/3 acre in total. The house faces east and the front yard is sloped and fairly shaded by trees (but does get morning sun). At the moment its a tangle of ivy and mondo grass. We do not have any grassed area on the plot (behind the house is cracked, bumpy asphalt -- the subject of another dilemma!) and I would really like an area that our 2 small kids can play on.

The driveway cuts diagonally across the front yard, so we have been planning to leave everything downhill of the driveway "natural", and to clear the ivy between the driveway and house, and then plant this area with lawn grass, surrounded by shrub/perennial borders.

Is there a lawn grass that can grow well in a shady area, and that also tolerates drought (if this year is anything to go by)?

Or would you recommend not even trying to plant lawn grass here? If not, is there something else that I could use to get something lawn-like that would stand kids playing on it? Can Mondo grass be cut as a lawn?

I've started ripping out the ivy. I'm pulling it by hand, then covering the pulled areas with mulch, with the thinking that over the winter, the root systems will die and then in spring we could seed grass. Is this a reasonable plan?

I've lived in ATL about 5 yrs, before that in Minnesota for 3 yrs, and I'm originally from England. Just my excuse for my lack of GA gardening knowledge! I'd really appreciate any advice.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor