SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minharopaola

ARGH! Mad at my grass.

minharopaola
11 years ago

Hi,

I've done my research, and I'm ticked at my grass and don't know what to do with it!

***Here's what I've got:***
1) Small townhome yard. Trampoline for the kiddies (can't really move it around to rotate the area that it covers). I understand that that portion will probably never grow grass...although I really wish it would. Maybe you know how I can.
2) The rest of the yard has poor drainage. The neighbors property to the right sends all the water to my yard, which is at the bottom of the slope. I put in a square foot garden in the worst area so I don't have to worry about the mud...but...
3) It's shaded...a lot. Most of the yard feels like a mud pit some of the year, if not most of the year. And last year we had a dry summer!
4) I live in Northern VA just outside of D.C. Zone 7A

***Here's what I did:***
1) Roto-tilled the entire yard,
2)Put down fast-acting calcium since the yard is surrounded by many trees whose leaves get into the soil, especially in the fall. I had the extension do testing on the soil, and that's what they recommended post-testing.
3) Cut back branches so the yard isn't SO shaded
4) Planted a shade-blend of seeds. Don't remember what brand, but it had about 15% creeping red fescue. Looking back I should have done more research on my seed mix purchase.
5) I kept the kids off of it during the lovely spring season, and the grass grew, looked like it was going to work...then DIED! I avoided mowing it at first because the ground was too soft and wet, and I was afraid of ruining the sprouts. Maybe I should have mowed it...it got to be about a foot long. I know I know...probably should have mowed it, but the ground was too wet. I KNOW the mower wheels would just have pulled out the grass roots. Felt like I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, and didn't know if I should mow or not (err I guess I was actually stuck between grass and a mud place. Ha.)

***Here's what I MAY do...and hopefully this is where you come in with your advice:***
1) Look at doing some Grading...I can't spend too much energy on this, especially since my home is built on a descending hill (where my home is at the bottom). I may create a SWALE on the side that has higher ground (Right side) to redirect the soil away from the yard. Then the swale will lead into a french drain, sending excess water out of the yard. Umm... ???
2) Aerate the lawn
3) Put down a top-soil mix to help with the drainage. This would compose of 30% sand, 30% Compost, and...40 of I HAVE NO IDEA.
4) Lay down shade fescue...creeping red, some hard...I'd love to be directed to a brand that I could buy online.
5) Then I'd PRAY it would work.

Help me O-Bi-Wan-Grass-ownie. You're my only hope!
Paola

P.S. And before you laugh at me, in my defense, I have a very prolific vegetable garden and co-op :). But grass is not my thing.

Comments (3)