SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azilove

Please help me to resolve this dilemma - TY (w photos)

azilove
15 years ago

We had our winter rye grass seeded at the beginning of November. We paid $250 to the guy who had been taking care of this lawn before we bought this house, and who is also taking care of our neighbor's lawn. The previous owners ended up owning this guy around $600, (they lost their house but the guy continued taking care of the lawn every week) until the bank posted their "for sale" sign. I felt bad & I decided to go with him without asking him all the questions I needed to ask (my fault, I accept). It turned out that he is not knowledgeable at all regarding lawn care. He didn't even know basics e.g. that you should never cut more than 1/3 of the grass blade off at a time or that in winter you don't water it 3 times a day, last time being close to a night time. He still doesn't know it as we have difficulties communicating. He is a very nice Mexican guy , but he doesn't understanding what I want.

He doesn't even cut our grass himself, he subcontracts people through his family, so I end up talking to his brother, who unfortunately, doesn't understand me clearly either.

After he seeded our law with Rye grass, I saw pretty soon that he didn't seed enough, but it looked nice from a distance anyway, and he also promised to seed more in a couple of days (which he didn't) and I let it go. By the end of December weeds started appearing all over the lawn. I told his brother, who was cutting our lawn, about this problem, but he said that to remove weeds we need to pay additional money. First of all, I know for sure that my neighbor doesn't pay any additional money for removing weeds & for winter seeding, but he had this guy for several years and he pays him every week... I guess, that's the difference as we asked him to cut grass biweekly in winter - $50 every 2 weeks. I feel that this whole weed problem is partially their fault as

a) they put sprinkle system to water the lawn too often (it was 3 times a day for 1,5 months and we ended up watering 2 times a day every day, though I asked to change it to once a day), which as I figured out later promoted weed growth

b) there was not enough grass coverage, which also promotes weed growth as weeds occupy empty spaces

At the same time it's also partially my fault as

a) we never discussed whose responsibility it would be to remove weeds - I had no idea that we would have such a big problem as I thought that Rye grass was supposed to prevent the invasion of aggressive winter weeds... well, I guess not in our case.

b) I should learn how to set our sprinkle system myself & change it to what I think is right for our climate and not depend on him

I researched online and I couldn't find any single method of removing weeds from the lawn without killing the grass unless you pull the weeds manually. The guy who takes care of the lawn said that there are things that kill weeds but not grass. Are there?

I'm not happy with this whole scenario, but I don't know what to do now. Please help me with your advice and tell me what would be the best thing for me to do to make sure we don't have lawn covered with weeds in spring, when dormant Bermuda grass is supposed to come out. I don't want to be charged $250 every winter + $50 every 2 weeks and be unhappy about my lawn most of the time.

Thank you!

{{gwi:79331}}

{{gwi:79332}}

Comments (5)