SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Controversy that Works for You

marquest
12 years ago

What do you Secretly do that you are afraid to say on the Houseplant Forum. Come on it is time to confess.

I have some soil questions soooo....I see many talking about soil mix. Please this is not a discussion about mixes of how to make your own soil. There are loads of topics with that info.

Some like me are just not going to run all over town to buy all the ingredients then sit down and try to make soil. I also have seen some say they cannot find this or that, some cannot carry do to a disability to get the ingredients,, have transportation issues, have the time to do mixes and the space. So no need to repeat that info.

But.....If you found a soil that looks good and according to the listed ingredients what would you pay?

(Yesterday I paid 27.00 for a 30 lb bag to try it out. Probably would not pay it on a regular basis but I was curious.)

Have you found a good ready made soil mix that works for you?

I have had houseplants all my life I have killed many due to not knowing what I was doing as to light and water requirements. I have never counted how many plants I have but every room in my house is packed with houseplants.

My confession method...

-Learn what the light and water requirements a plant needs after I buy the plant. LOL

-Soil... I mostly use Black Gold from the hardware store. They actually put this on sale for as little as 2.00 for 30 quarts. I buy Miracle Gro soil if it is on sale none of my plants have died due to the MG after I learned how to water my plants. I have plants that have been growing in MG soil for 3+ years.

-I like pots without drainage. I know, I know most of you are probably jumping up and down SCREAMING . LOL But it works for me especially for plants that hate to dry out. Travel dictates that this works for me. Experience of how much water to put in a pot without drainage. I do not want water on my furniture where I have certain plants. Also, again some of these plants have been in these holeless pots for 3+ years and are gorgeous.

-I use fertilizer, Miracle Gro, Shultz, Epsom Salt, VF-10, A mixture of Beer, molasses, water, ammonia recipe that I found on the net. I find a little fert help does work with my plants.

Now for the disclaimer..... To the newbie houseplant person.... My way probably will not work for you. It takes experience to work around issues and find what works for you.

OK I have a disclaimer so others can post their No, No without guilt that we killed someone's plant.

I am not sensitive I do not mind post saying I am out of my mind. I am just saying it works for me and was wondering what other un-traditional things people do.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting