SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwoods_gw

controversy on cochlear implants

mwoods
16 years ago

A TV movie being shown tonight reminds me once again of how totally one sided I am on the controversy of cochlear implants. I think we all really try to see two sides to an issue,looking at the best and worst from both and then making a decision but on this issue I can't seem to wrap my mind around any other side than having this procedure when it involves your child . If you aren't familiar with the issue, it pretty much is about those in the non hearing world,not wanting their children to have a cochlear implant,which would restore their hearing. It isn't because of any risk,or because of the cost but about their children entering the world of the hearing. Activists insist that "deaf culture," complete with its own language -- American Sign Language, or ASL -- is no different from any other ethnic or linguistic culture. For the life of me I can't come to grips with the idea that a parent would never want his or her child to hear a bird sing,hear the wind blowing or listen to music. By the time this same child is old enough to decide for himself whether hearing would be beneficial or not, would his speech already be permanently impaired to a hearing world? To me it basically boils down to denying your child one of the 5 senses given to most humans on the planet, because you think you can get along without it.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
More Discussions