SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slashy

Powdery mildew- how transmissable is it?

slashy
16 years ago

Hi all, my original zucchini plants are quite severely struck down with powdery mildew (RIP, little plants, you've done me good til now). I'm just wondering, when the time comes, what to do with the plants themselves, the container soil they're in, and the pots. Can the plants go on the compost heap or will the mildew then spread to other plants? Can the container soil be used for other plants, is there any need or way to sterilise it, any plants I shouldn't use it with? I'm guessing the tactic for the pots would be to wash them in a bleach solution before I plant anything else in them- does this sound correct?

These poor plants never really had a chance, they were my first vegetable attempts and I crowded them WAY too much in their pots, then wasn't exactly slack with the no-water-on-leaves rule, but... um... not as disciplined as I now know it's important to be! I have more zucchinis growing out the back (in more space, in raised beds) and I'm building an under-mulch soaker hose system for them to avoid the wet leaves problem. Although it seems to me that powdery mildew on squash is as inevitable as death & taxes... but it would be nice to put off its arrival for as long as possible!

Comments (7)