SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

Let the ficus go wild or reign it in?

dgmarie
14 years ago

Hey there ficus lovers

i have this bad boy in my home. I've posted here before when I'd just got it and had problems. Now those are totally worked out and well, it keeps GROWING. See that huge shoot off the top? It must be over 4 feet long and still growing. The bottom of the half round window is 12 feet off the ground.

Do I reign this plant in? Lately I have noticed some yellow leaves. I am worried about this. I NEVER EVER get yellow leaves until December/January when it drops for winter, and then it is green all the rest of the year. There is also plenty of new growth.

I had tried some new fertilizer (sea weed plus iron). Watering and everything else has been the same. The huge shoot occurred long before the fertilizer change. In the winter I only water, not feed. I stopped using this fertilizer but the yellow leaves are still occurring.

I think (not sure as I didn't plant it) that this isn't one tree but several shoots off an older plant planted in a pot and let grow. At least, that is what it looks like.

So do you think it will be ok to leave it? It's in a 24" pot. I'd rather not repot it. It's huge. I assumed it would just sort of stay the same size.

Suggestions welcomed.

{{gwi:95404}}

{{gwi:95405}}

{{gwi:95406}}

Comments (15)