SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Ficus benjamina question - recognize issue?

Hey guys,
If there’s one plant in my house that gets revered, it’s this one. Because she’s gone absolutely mad over the dumbest things, I actually fear her as much as I enjoy her. Total snowflake. I turn her about once every 6 months because she doesn’t even like that, which led to her needing a stick to fix the forward curve she’d developed. She’s about....four years old or so.

Anyway, she’s been doing near perfectly (or as perfectly as she will ever do for me) since October or so with only an intermittent leaf falling off 7-10 days or so. In my book, that’s called success with this plant, haha. But in the last 3 days, she’s become temperamental again. She does have the sunniest spot in the house with an eastern and southern window to her sides. I also wipe every damn leaf on this plant about once every 2 months. Arduous process, let me tell you, but she’s in my kitchen eat-in area and I cook a lot, so...

Thinking back, I did do two things in the last week or so, but it seems ludicrous that she would throw a fit on account of that. I opened the window to her right for about ten minutes when it was probably in the high 50s. This is a corner in my kitchen and I was apparently trying to burn the house down, hence the window. Second, I pulled her out from the corner by about a foot or less just so her backside could get some sun too. Sheesh.

But in some of the shots below, the leaves look damaged a little. I can’t imagine why they’d get damaged except for some insect I don’t see? There’s nothing there for her to bump into except the wall, and the damage is not all in the back but on what is her current “front,” too. And about 10 leaves have fallen off just yellowed but without any injury like the second picture (which is her thing when she starts acting up). Does anyone recognize the issue?

In better news, whenever this plant shows ailments, I take that opportunity to take her outside to shower her down and completely flood her over and over. (I mean, if you’re gonna throw a fit, I’ll give you something to throw a fit about, right?) So she is now outside and looking happy & clean—and will probably be leafless by tomorrow morning. We utterly lack humidity and I know that is an issue. Like right now, it’s 75 degrees with 9% humidity outside and not much better indoors. I know she looks unruly and wild right now, but I have no idea what I wang her to be so I’m just letting her do what she wants for now. She seemed to like that corner, but I don’t know if she’ll manage once summer and 110+ rolls in.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus