SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sailorbarsoom

Advice on repotting my new Pachira (ie replacing the soil)?

sailorbarsoom
15 years ago

Hello all!

I just bought a 20" Pachira Aquatica (Money Tree). I have read every single post that inculdes the word "Pachira," so I know how much trouble these tend to give us! None the less, I fell in love with the Pachira at my office, and spent months trying to find one.

Now that I have it, I'm pretty sure I need to repot it. The soil it is in right now is spongy, and I watered it when I got it home two days ago, and it's still very moist. I've been reading up on soil, and I think I'm going to mix up 1 part potting soil (I already have it, and I'm cheap), 1 part bark, and 2 parts Turface. Does that sound reasonable? I'm going for acceptable here, not Master Gardener!

The real question is, do I need to trim the roots? I read Tapla's post (complete with a photo of his Implements of Torture) on repotting, but this plant isn't rootbound, and I have no idea how delicate it is. Also, I've read that healthy roots should be white, and these are brown, but they don't seem like they're rotting. Of course, I really don't know what rotting roots look like. Here are some pics:

{{gwi:90990}}

{{gwi:90991}}

{{gwi:90992}}

Also, it came in a six inch plastic pot, and I'm thinking of moving it to a six inch terracotta pot. It doesn't seem to need anything bigger right now.

I'd appreciate your feedback, as I don't want to do this and THEN have someone say "Oh my god, you did WHAT?!?!" :-)

Comment (1)